|BRIEF HISTORY :
The site known as Chandraketu's fort, a legend without any base was partly excavated by the University of Calcutta from 1956-57 to 1966-67 and has revealed almost a continuous sequence of occupations, divided into 6 periods from the Pre-Mauryan to Pala period. The protected limits consist of an earthen rampart only. The area contains ancient habitational deposits. Besides NBP ware and brick-slipped ware, pieces of rouletted ware, beads, punch-marked and cast copper coins, the site has yielded exquisite terracotta figurines of the Maurya, Sunga and Kushana period.